Friday, December 13, 2013

First Week in the Philippines MTC



December 13, 2013

Glad to hear that Saryn is done with finals, the first quarter tends to be the most stressful. Well I made it! I didn't cry once on the flight over to Seattle or to Japan or to Manila. Yes, all of my stuff made it just fine. I met up with Sister Roisum (Roy-sum) is Seattle and we were the only two missionaries heading over to the Philippines, but we were pretty sure that we would meet up with some others by the time we got to Japan. We got to Japan and no one was there...(no I didn't try the Ramen because I wasn't able to find a Ramen place and we only had about fifteen minutes before boarding and the line was terrible). Then we got on the next plane and got to the Manila airport and still didn't see any other missionaries there, so we grabbed all of our bags, exchanged our money and then went out to the meeting place and started looking for the person who was supposed to have a sign that said "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," but we couldn't find him. We were in the right place, pero he was no where to be seen. So, we said a prayer, called someone and waited again, when suddenly out of nowhere (at this time it was about 12:30 am) the guy comes running up and he just said "Wait here, your ride's coming, don't move!" and then ran off in the other direction. And our ride did come and we did make it to the hotel ok, (mom, I was too full of snacks, and still have too many, that I had on the plane ride) and got checked in and then waited for a while, and while we did a group of four sisters and three elders walked in. Their flight had gotten in about an hour after ours. We didn't go to bed until 2:00 am and had a bit of a power nap since we were supposed to leave at 4:30. IT WAS FREEZING COLD! They have these super fans here that make you forget about the temperature outside, but with only a sheet on top of you, it can be a long time to try to sleep. I am so grateful for the blanket that I brought with me for the plane, it is so helpful at night. We made it to the MTC at about 6:30 in the morning, and waited for orientation to begin. My companion is Sister davis from Sandy, Utah. She knows people from Moses Lake! Shailee Perry and Bryce (the one who plays piano for choir), Sister Jackie Davis says hi. My district is made up of me and my kasama (companion), Sister Dalley and Sister Vi, Sister Roisum and Sister Laiti (La-eat-ee), Elder Marsh and Elder Newaylua, and Elder Seiuli and EIder Tupo. The MTC here is incredibly small, I am so glad because I probably would have more problems trying toadjust to the size of the Provo MTC. I have to say, having only four hours of sleep in 36 hours makes it difficult to stay awake for sixteen hours of focused study. By about 8 am we were all convinced that it was about 3pm since we had been in dark rooms and all the windows are slightly tinted the whole day. When it was really 6pm Sister Dalley, myself, and my kasama were visibly nodding off and jerking awake while our MTC president was talking so he politly suggested "to those who [were] having a hard time staying awake to stand in the back." We did for the rest of orientation and then went to bed. The food here is good...Filipinos love their rice. It's included with EVERY meal. The only time we didn't have rice with a meal, the language training missionaries that had been here longer got really excited, so I guess that means that that doesn't happen very often. Tagalog is the language of tounge twisters. I have to say a word three times before I get it right (all the throaty "ng"s in the middle of a word doesn't help much either) at least. I love my district, we laugh a lot and care for each other, AND WE CAN ALL SING! The Elders are from Samoa, New Zeland, and Tonga, Sister Dalley was in choir, and the other Sisters enjoy singing so it is so cool when we sing hyms together. I don't have much time left, I'll try uploading some pictures next week. I love the gospel, I am so grateful for the Priesthood, Heavenly Father loves us so much, and it is possible to not be allowed to get up at three to do laundry and be able to get it done anyway.
Sister Jones 

No comments:

Post a Comment